On February 14, 1969, senior Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Air Force officers of the EOD School formed the EOD Memorial committee to design and construct a memorial to honor fallen EOD warriors. Drawings of the proposed memorial were made and a $1500 construction estimate was obtained. Land on the Naval Ordnance Station in Indian Head, Maryland was donated and the wall was constructed by dedicated and determined volunteer EOD personnel. Upon consolidation of the EOD School from Indian Head, Maryland to Eglin Air Force Base , Florida in 1999, the current memorial was constructed and stands across from the main EOD School Building on Range Road. EOD technicians whose names are placed on the memorial are graduates of the United States EOD School and died on active duty as a result of an EOD mission.
The names on the wall date back to the formation of EOD in World War II. The basic structure consists of four cenotaphs; one for each branch of military service, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force. A bronze tablet with the names of fallen EOD warriors is inscribed and attached to each cenotaph.
Every year, on the first Saturday in May, the EOD Memorial Ceremony is held to commemorate fallen EOD technicians to recognize and preserve the legacy of the service and sacrifices of our fallen warriors and their families.
This information was obtained from: http://www.eodwarriorfoundation.org/eod-memorial